Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Wine Audio Error!

Today I wanted to install Winamp on my Ubuntu Gutsy. For that reason installed 'Wine' (you know the software that lets you run some windows applications on windows). Everything went fine, after that I downloaded the latest version of winamp from the winamp site and installed it by going to the terminal and typing in 'wine '. Again everything went fine. After this I tried to run winamp, this is where I got into trouble, there was no sound. To fix this I tried to play around with the Wine Configuration tool (Applications -> Wine -> Configure Wine). When I went to the 'Audio' tab, that is when I got this error message this post is about i.e. 'Wine Audio Error!'. I googled and googled and then eventually came across a post that solved my problem.

The solution to this problem is as follows:
  • Add the repository to Ubuntu:
    • Open the Terminal (Application -> Accessories -> Terminal)
  • Copy and Paste the following (or type if you feel like it) wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
  • Once done type in sudo wget http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/sources.list.d/gutsy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list
  • Make sure there are not error messages
  • If you don't have Wine installed yet then type the following into the terminal:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install wine
  • If you have Wine already installed then type the following into the terminal:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Hope this helps!!

1 comment:

HGH Los Angeles said...

I'm really enjoying the theme/design of your site.