Friday, February 1, 2008

Dock for Ubuntu Gutsy - Avant Window Navigator (AWN)

I heard the other day that it was possible to install a Mac like dock on Ubuntu, I've always liked the Mac dock and have the object dock installed on XP for a while as while as well. So I went on google and tried to figure out how to install this "Dock". I googled around for a while and eventually was able to identify Avant Window Navigation (AWN) as the way to go. After a bit of playing around I was able to install AWN and am glad to say that everthing has been working fine and have had no issues.

To install this is what you need to do.

- Make sure that compiz is enabled (I've already covered how to do this)
Go to
- http://www.getdeb.net/release.php?id=1865
- Download avant-window-navigator, libawn0, python-libawn0, awn-manager.
-
Install them in the following order: 1) libawn0, 2) avant-window-navigator, 3) python-libawn0, 4) awn-manager

Once you are done installing you can start AWN by selecting to Application -> Accessories -> Avant Window Navigator. To modify the look and feel of AWN or to add applications you can go to System -> Preferences -> Awn manager.


Once you are done you can add applications to AWN by simply dragging and dropping.


If you guys find this useful then do Digg!

Have Fun showing off you new Mac Like Dock to your friends :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks man, installed AWN...loving it

Embee said...

I've had Kiba Dock for a while, but AWN definitely FTW! Stable & sleek! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

wow that has to be the first ubuntu guide so far i've actually understood! ive been using it for two days now, and yea its great, but its a culture shock.

thanks dude.

Anonymous said...

how about amd64.. will it work?

HGH Los Angeles said...

I used to bе recоmmеnԁeԁ thіs blog by means of my cousіn.

HGH Los Angeles said...

I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme.